The Philippine Space Agency (PhilSA) is calling on designers, artists, and space enthusiasts to join the mission of the country’s first commercial-grade satellite in development, the Multispectral Unit for Land Assessment or MULA satellite, by creating its mission patch.
Who can join?
- The contest is open to Filipino citizens 18 years old and above residing anywhere in the world
- Employees and relatives of the Philippine Space Agency (PhilSA) and the Department of Trade and Industry (DTI) up to the 2nd degree of consanguinity and affinity are ineligible from joining the contest
- The submitted mission patch design should not contain the name of the artist or any indications of its authorship
- The submitted mission patch should comply with the Philippine Space Agency’s visual languages:
- PhilSA’s core visual language is minimalist with abstract visuals that represent ideas and concepts in their most distilled form. This allows for a more focused messaging and retains the formality that a government agency requires but not totally abandoning playfulness, which is the adjacent trait of curiosity and wonder. Sample content:
- PhilSA also uses abstract collages as another visual language. Abstract collage unifies various elements into a single form to encapsulate an idea and effectively convey it in a fun, compelling way. Sample content:
- The design should revolve around the mission of MULA, namely: addressing food security, disaster resilience, environment conservation, and national sovereignty.
- The design must be representative of Filipino values and culture.
- By entering the contest, the participants declare that their entry is their own original work, has not been submitted to any other contest, and does not infringe on any existing copyright. Complaints that arise due to similarities of the submitted design would be the accountability of the participant who bears the responsibility to prove its authenticity.
- Participants must submit their entries in PDF format with the file name: Name_Surname_MULAMPC Entry to the registration link below on or before 09 December 2022 (extended deadline). The submission should contain the following:
- A brief description or rationale of the design. This should contain a maximum of 250 words and an explanation of the components of the mission patch.
- Usage guidelines comprised of the following: spacing, color palette, typography and font, colors, and versions.
- High-resolution digital files of the design (JPEG, PNG, TIF, SVG, TIF) as well as all raw files related to the mission patch design.
- The mission patch must follow a circular or round design (1:1 aspect ratio) not more than < 12.7 cm x 12.7 cm> in size. Samples are shown here.
Evaluation and Judging
Bonus points will be given to participants able to attend the following Design Week events and submit proof of participation or attendance:
- All entries will undergo two (2) rounds of judging. Shortlisted entries will be notified via email.
- The deadline for submission of entries is extended until 09 December 2022.
The winning designer will receive the following:
- PhP 20,000.00 cash prize
- A limited edition MULA plushie
- Interested contestants should submit entries here: https://bit.ly/3z12CoB