The Philippine Space Agency (PhilSA) is the central government agency addressing all national issues and activities related to space S&T applications. Created under Republic Act No. 11363 or the Philippine Space Act, the PhilSA is an attached agency of the Office of the President for purposes of policy and program coordination, and to ensure alignment in national policies and priorities. The following policy declarations of the State underpin the mandate and function of PhilSA as the national space agency:
- - To safeguard Philippine sovereignty, territorial integrity, Philippine interest, and the right to self-determination as mandated by Article II, Section 7 of the 1987 Constitution;
- - To support and commit to the development, application and utilization of science and technology (S&T) that will foster patriotism and nationalism and accelerate social progress, such as the development of space technology and applications for its security and for the benefit of its citizens;
- - To ensure access to space and its environs as a sovereign right in the promotion of national security towards the attainment and protection of national interest;
- - To recognize that there is an urgent need to create a coherent and unified strategy for space development and utilization to keep up with other nations in terms of space S&T;
- - To ensure that the Philippines has official representation in the international space community for establishing cooperation agreements and linkages on space development; and
- - To ensure that the Philippines abides by the various international space treaties and principles promulgated by the United Nations and is an active participant in the international space community, including international rules and procedures concerning the Outer Space Treaty and Liability Convention, among others.
The PhilSA is headed by a Director General (DG) with the rank of a Cabinet Secretary and who also serves as the Presidential Adviser on Space Matters. The DG is assisted by three (3) Deputy Directors General with the rank of a Department Undersecretary.